The purpose of this qualification is to provide the Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration (HVAC&R) industry with skilled people who are able to independently install Air Conditioning systems up to 50Kw nominal cooling, and who are working with Synthetic Refrigerants, including HFO's, in accordance with manufacturer's specifications and industry best practice.
This qualification is designed for people already working within the industry to gain a credential that will enhance their employment opportunities and/or people that are in an allied trades such as Electrical, and Plumbing, and wish to enter the HVAC&R industry.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of the principles and applications of air conditioning plant and equipment up to 50Kw nominal cooling, together with the skills and knowledge of engineering tools and fasteners, to safely install to manufacturers specifications and industry best practice.
- Apply knowledge of the use and management of refrigerants in the HVAC&R industry including recovering refrigerant into a cylinder and evacuate and charge Air Conditioning systems in accordance with current regulations and best industry practice to safely meet all relevant environmental and industrial legislation.
- Apply knowledge of legislation and codes of practice relevant to their industry including, passive fire protection, indoor air quality including council G4 compliance requirements, and seismic restraints.
- Apply knowledge of welding to braze and purge braze copper piping including the mechanical jointing of pipe to an acceptable industry standard.
- Work safely with a relevant understanding of Health and Safety requirements and workplace safety culture - Install ducted systems of plain and insulated solid and flexible ductwork, terminal fittings, and fans, ensuring that the air volume for heating, cooling and ventilation are achieved according to human comfort standards and codes.
- Apply knowledge of basic energy efficiency design principles including heat recovery ventilation, thermal properties of ductwork, and diversity of air conditioning plant, to assist in reducing the carbon footprint of the industry.
- Pre-commission Air Conditioning installations up to 50Kw nominal cooling.
- Read and interpret plans, legends, and drawings and produce accurate site measures for manufacture of air conditioning plant and equipment.