Entry is open, however it is recommended candidates hold the National Certificate in Educational Achievement (Level 2) [Ref: 0973].
The purpose of this qualification is to provide the Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC) industry with skilled tradespeople that are able to independently install, maintain, service, and commission plant and equipment to industry standards.
RAC plant and equipment may include: commercial air conditioning plant found in multi-story buildings; commercial refrigeration equipment similar to that found in a supermarket; domestic refrigerators; heat/energy recovery units; industrial single or multi-staged refrigeration and air conditioning systems; or temperature and environmental control equipment in the food processing industry.
This qualification will typically be achieved in a workplace environment whilst completing a New Zealand Apprenticeship.
Graduates will be able to:
- apply engineering trade skills and knowledge to plan, troubleshoot, recondition, and test when maintaining and servicing a range of RAC plant and equipment
- apply engineering trade skills and knowledge to plan, install, and test a range of RAC equipment in accordance with industry and statutory standards
- commission basic installations and work with specialists to commission the full range of complex plant and equipment
- apply an understanding of the principles of RAC system design and applications to all aspects of their work
- recover refrigerant into a cylinder and charge refrigeration systems in accordance with current regulations
- apply knowledge of the use and management of refrigerants in the RAC industry to safely meet all relevant environmental and industrial legislation
- carry out the electrical work associated with installing, maintaining, servicing and commissioning refrigeration plant and equipment
- apply an understanding of the relevant Health and Safety legislation and workplace safety culture to work safely and meet responsibilities in a commercial environment
- recognise the limits of their ability and the importance of working with integrity and maintaining currency.