To become an apprentice you must be 16 or older, legally allowed to work in New Zealand, and have a job in the industry your apprenticeship is in.
Here are some more details:
- You are 16 years of age or over (unless you have an early leaving exemption certificate from the Ministry of Education)
- You are employed in the industry you wish to complete your apprenticeship in OR
- You are a self-employed contractor working in New Zealand under an arrangement with an organisation in the nature of employment
- You have a valid form of identity documentation OR
- If you are a non-New Zealand citizen you must have a legal right to reside and work in New Zealand for the anticipated duration of your apprenticeship. You will need a visa or work permit that confirms this.