You're on the right track to becoming an apprentice or trainee with Competenz!
The first thing to do is double-check that you meet the following criteria:
- You are 16 years of age or over (unless you have an early leaving exemption certificate from the Ministry of Education)
- You are employed in New Zealand OR
- You are a self-employed contractor working in New Zealand under an arrangement with an organisation in the nature of employment OR
- For traineeships only, you are volunteering in New Zealand under an arrangement with an organisation in the nature of employment, where the Tertiary Education Commission has granted permission for you to access funded training as a volunteer
- You have a valid form of identity documentation OR
- If you are a non-New Zealand citizen you must have a legal right to reside and work in New Zealand for the anticipated duration of your traineeship. You will need a visa or work permit that confirms this.
If this sounds like you, then the next step is to talk to your employer. Tell them about the training you want to do. They need to be on board. Being a Competenz learner is a three-way agreement between us (Competenz), you (the learner) and your employer.
Then call our Customer Services Team on 0800 526 1800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can arrange for someone to visit your workplace to discuss your training needs.